“Romance Dance” fundraiser for James Sewell Ballet
MINNEAPOLIS (Jan. 12, 2016) — Romance Dance, a benefit to support the James Sewell Dance Company, will be held Sunday, Feb. 14, 2016, from 5 to 10 p.m. at TEK BOX Theater in the 2nd Floor Target Education Studio, and Studio 2B, at 528 Hennepin Avenue, Minneapolis, MN.
The event host will be entertainer and auctioneer Kevin Joyce in collaboration with James Sewell Ballet plus a dance performance by the artists in the TEK BOX Theater. The event starts with a Reception including appetizers and beverages in the Target Education Studio at 5 p.m., followed by the private performance in the TEK BOX Theater at 6 p.m., then music and elegant dinner in Studio 2B at 6:40 p.m. A limited/spirited live auction and fund-raising follows dinner at 7:45 p.m., then coffee and dessert service in Studio 2B at 8:20 p.m., followed by a dance and mingle to sip the night away from 8:45 to 10 p.m.
Now in his second season with James Sewell Ballet, Shohei Iwahama started dancing in 2002 under the tutelage of Miyako Kato and eventually performed for her company, Miyako Kato Dance Space, in Tokyo. In 2006-2007, he studied at The Ailey School in NY, under a one-year grant from the Agency for Cultural Affairs of Japan. He received his BFA in Dance from Sam Houston State University and has been dancing professionally in the Houston area since 2012 with Hope Stone Dance Company. He has also worked with NobleMotion Dance, Dominic Walsh Dance Theater, Earthen Vessels (Sandra Organ Dance Company), Freneticore, and Rednerrus Feil Dance Company. He has performed both nationally and internationally in venues such as The Ailey Citigroup Theater, The Kennedy Center, Amazonas Theater in Manaus, Teatro Guaira in Curitiba, and Tokyo Metropolitan Theater. Shohei was named one of Houston Press’ 100 Creatives for 2013.
Austin Lam, in his first season with James Sewell Ballet, is from Regina, Saskatchewan in Canada. He started dancing at a young age trained in a variety of genres including ballet, contemporary, tap, jazz, musical theatre, hip hop and acrobatics. Lam trained at the National Ballet School of Canada, the Royal Winnipeg Ballet School, Arts Umbrella, and is a graduate of Juilliard where he received a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree. Lam has performed new works by Monica Bill Barnes, Darrell Grand Moultrie, Larry Keigwin and Shannon Gillen, among others. He also performed repertoire choreographed by José Limón, Eliot Feld, and Merce Cunningham. Austin had the opportunity to perform with the Juilliard Dance Ensemble in the Chicago Dancing Festival of 2014 alongside companies such as New York City Ballet and Hubbard Street Dance Chicago. He also performed with LeeSaar The Company in APAP 2015. Austin is very excited to be joining the James Sewell Ballet for his first season.
Tickets are $200 per person or $2,000 for a private table of 10. Complimentary parking is in the Butler lot directly behind The Cowles Center. RSVP by Feb. 8, 2016 at http://jsballet.org and click on “Romance Dance” on the menu bar.
Live Auction Items
• Star Lake Getaway for Long Weekend – Four season availability; Perfect family vacation, business retreat, or lovers’ private escape
• Walk-on Cameo Appearance in one 2016 Nutcracker Performance – Eight tickets for your friends and family; Come back for the cast party at the end of the run; Photo opportunities with your favorite cast members
• JSB Private Performance and Party in the TEK BOX for up to 100 Guests – A unique experience for you and your guests to enjoy a performance and meet the company
• Weekend at Lovely 2-Bedroom Condo on the North Shore – Enjoy a weekend with friends and/or family at a 3-bedroom “lakehome” condo at Superior Shores resort and explore the North Shore
• East Meets West (of the Mississippi) – Enjoy a special mutli-course dinner for four at the Minneapolis Club; Take a limo to the opening night premiere of JSB and SPCO’s Mendelssohn Octet at The Ordway, four VIP tickets to the show; Enjoy a nightcap after the performance with James Sewell
• Special Opportunity for Two – Join legendary local food critic Rick Nelson on a “Dining Out Schedule” in 2016; Refine your palates and savor the experience
• Photo Shoot with the Nutcracker’s Ken and Barbie for You and/or Your Family – By award-winning photographer Erik Saulitis; Beautiful framed image presentation; Six tickets to a 2016 naughty Nutcracker performance