MINNEAPOLIS (April 15, 2015) — Voices for Racial Justice released the 2015 Racial Equity Bill Watch this week, following up on the 2015 Racial Equity Agenda that was introduced at the Racial Justice Rally on February 18. Over 50 groups across the state have signed on in support of the Agenda and its goal of presenting multiple strategies for advancing racial and economic justice in our state.
The 2015-16 Legislative Report Card on Racial Equity will relate back to this Agenda and to bills listed on the Racial Equity Bill Watch. Through both the Racial Equity Agenda and the Bill Watch, Voices for Racial Justice and its partners for racial justice seek to advance solutions for the racial and economic disparities that keep Minnesota from fulfilling its promise of prosperity and inclusivity for all Minnesotans.
Positive racial equity policies meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Does the legislation explicitly address racial disparities and work to eliminate racial inequities?
- Will the legislation help eliminate barriers to access to public benefits and institutions for communities of color?
- Does the legislation advance enfranchisement and full civic participation for everyone in the state?
- Will the legislation protect against racial violence, racial profiling, and discrimination?
- Does the legislation preserve, protect, and/or strengthen the ability of American Indian tribes to exercise their rightful sovereignty?
The organization invites continued feedback on bills or amendments to be considered in the Racial Equity Bill Watch, which will continue to be updated as the legislative session and the work for racial justice progresses.
Find both documents on the Voices for Racial Justice website at www.voicesforracialjustice.org