TWIN CITIES (Feb. 24, 2016) — At age 8, Ky Ngo played drums with a rock band at the legendary 7th Street Entry. When he was only 4, he rocked the rotunda at the MOA. Today, the kid can back South American, Latin and Cuban musicians and he knows and plays other styles of music, too.
But now 9-year old Ky Ngo, the son of proud Vietnamese American parents living in Lakeville, Minn., will make his south Minneapolis debut at the Parkway Theater March 12 at 7 p.m. A host of bands and supporters, including his own Ky Ngo Band, Charanga Tropical (Cuban Jazz), The Ryan Daniel Band (Reggae and Hip Hop), renowned drummer Kevin Washington, MC Michelle Hoang and others will be on hand.
Tickets are $35.00 in advance from vitalcutlure.com, or at the door. The Parkway is located 4814 Chicago Ave S., Minneapolis, MN 55417 and www.theparkwaytheater.com; (612) 822-3030. this is a 21+ event.
According to his father, Phong Ngo, Ky has always had rhythm: “He used chopsticks to knock on the table or any where else in the house! I took him around the Twin Cities to find the drum instructor, but Ky was too young to get lessons. Then I searched for drum lessons on the YouTube for him to learn.”
Ky’s dad says no one else in the family is musical at all. As to what the future will bring to this very young man with talent, chops and enthusiasm for music, the family can only guess: “We have no idea what lies ahead, we just enjoy his music talent right now and are just happy for him now as he plays.”
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TglFGFHklII (Playing 7th Street Entry with the Intimate Dream Band)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYJk5FdiAds (with The Beat Band in Houston)
· https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmcuA9kX_rQ (with the Ecuador Manta Band)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IpUhC6IoI0 (Mall of America Rotunda, age 4)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAPMafeibVQ (with drummer Kevin Washington)
· https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz5pi0M98Sk (with Charanga Cuba Band)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6EUe6AXzDA (Houston performance)