The student who was assaulted and knocked out asked the Minneapolis school board last summer to keep school buses at Henry for 2012-2013 school year.
By JAY CLARK
AAP contributing Writer
MINNEAPOLIS — On January 28, a Henry high Hmong student was assaulted and knocked unconscious at a bus stop while using the Go-To Card city bus pass between school and home.
The youth was hospitalized, and was diagnosed with a concussion. He is now suffering bouts of memory loss along with problems with balance. He has fallen at lease twice because of his condition.
The youth did not know his attackers. No arrests have yet been made.
The student and his brothers say that they also know other Henry students who have had problems with the city bus. One said he was held up at gun point and robbed of his phone while waiting for a city bus to go to school.
Two girls spoke about being touched and groped while taking the city buses between Henry High School and their homes. One of the girls has since transferred to another school.
Another family says that Two Henry High Hmong brothers were waiting at the bus stop for the city bus to take them to school. A young man walked up to the bus stop. The brothers thought he was going to wait for the bus with them. Instead, he punched one brother in the nose, and the other one in the eye, and ran away before either brother could react.
The family of the assault victim who was knocked out this week has said that if the attackers are not caught, they want the Minneapolis Public Schools to pay for his hospital and medical costs. They say this attack would not have happened if he had been riding a school bus home.
Last April, Minneapolis Public Schools announced they were ending school bus rides to five high schools including Henry High School, and replacing the school buses with the Go-To card city bus rides. Hmong families with children attending Henry High School are concerned about safety and wanting to give Hmong families a chance to learn about and feel comfortable with the Go-To card, asked that the city bus rides be instituted this year as an option with school bus rides available.
School board members agreed to run limited school buses for the first semester. School buses ended in mid-January.
Both the assault victim and his mother testified in front of the Minneapolis school board last summer and urged them to keep school bus rides at Henry high for the 2012-2013 school year.