Saint Paul based sister companies, Hmong Home Health Care, Inc. and First Choice Home Care, Inc. (the “Companies”) seek to promote the advancement of higher education of students, in underserved communities of the Twin Cities metropolitan area, who exhibits the interest, compassion and commitment to serve in local community-based settings.
To support this, the Companies has established two academic scholarships to award community-minded students, pursuing baccalaureate degrees in the healthcare or human services fields. At least one of the scholarship recipient will be a graduating high school senior in the class of 2014.
Funding and Duration for Award
Derived from the Companies’ general fund, the two scholarships will be in the amount of $1000 each, administered by a Scholarship Administration Committee made up of the Companies’ officers and community-based scholarship selection committee.
These scholarships are one-time awards and are not renewable, although applications may be re-submitted annually as recipients will be not be barred from applying again.
To be considered for this scholarship, one must:
• Have at least one-year residency in the following Minnesota counties: Hennepin & Ramsey. Hmong Home Health Care and First Choice Home Care’s employees and their children are eligible for application regardless of county residency.
• Be a graduating high school senior or current college student accepted into or enrolled in a full-time baccalaureate degree program at an accredited college or university in the state of Minnesota in the fall of 2014.
• Must be seeking a degree majoring in the healthcare, social or human services field with the intent of returning to serve in community-based settings (ie, small clinics, home health care agencies, non-profit organizations, etc.)
• Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
Scholarship Selection Committee
The 2014 Scholarship Selection Committee consists of a panel of three independent volunteer members of the community with no direct relation to the companies. The members of the Scholarship Selection Committee are:
• Craig Luedemann, Executive Director of Youthcare MN, Inc. and 2014 MLK Breakfast Local Legends Recipient.
• Duachi Her, Community Health Specialist, Hennepin County Public Health Department and Secretary of Hmong Healthcare Professionals Coalition
• Kaying Thao, Board Member of the Roseville Area School Board of Directors and Committee Legislative Assistant to the Jobs & Economic Finance & Policy Committee
In sequential order of significance, the Scholarship Committee will consider the following criteria in selecting the scholarship recipient:
• Experience/distinctions in Community Service
• Essay Response
• Academic Achievement
• Letter(s) of recommendation
• Financial need
At least one of the scholarship recipient will be a graduating high school senior in the class of 2014.
Deadline to Apply
Applications must be received or postmarked by April 30, 2014. Applications received after the April 30, 2014 deadline will not be considered.
How To Apply
Students may apply by completing the scholarship application form and returning it to the Companies with the following required documents:
• One Letter of Recommendation from a teacher, job supervisor or school counselor
• Required Essay
• Copy of Letter of Acceptance from the educational institution you will attend, or copy of current
• Official school transcript: High school Transcript and/or office current college transcript. If you are a current freshman in college, please also submit your high school transcript.
Application packets may be downloaded at www.hmonghomehealthcare.com/about-us/scholarship. Completed application packets may be submitted to the address provided below no later than April 30, 2014 to:
Hmong Home Health Care, Inc.
c/o Scholarship Committee
933 White Bear Avenue North
Saint Paul, MN 55106
Direct any questions or inquiries to 651-488-1680 or by email at [email protected]