UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA
ASIAN AMERICAN STUDIES GRADUATE STUDENT
TRAVEL FELLOWSHIP AWARDS 2014 – 2015
Deadline: 4:00pm March 2, 2015
The University of Minnesota Asian American Studies Program will be awarding a limited number of travel fellowship grants of $400 each for graduate students presenting papers at Asian American Studies-centered conferences (such as the annual meeting of the Association for Asian American Studies and the Critical Ethnic Studies Association) or for research relating to dissertation projects. Preference will be given to Ph.D. students whose papers or projects represent ongoing and sustained research in Asian American Studies, who do not have another source of travel support for this conference or research project, and who have not received an AAS Travel Grant in previous years. Only one award per person per fiscal year. Please be aware that these awards will be processed as scholarship/fellowship funding and may affect any financial aid that you currently have. Successful grantees will be awarded the full $400 amount, which will be applied directly to their STARS account.
To apply for AAS Graduate Student Travel awards, please submit an application to the Prof. Lisa Sun-Hee Park, Asian American Studies Program, 215 Social Sciences Building, University of Minnesota, by 4:00 p.m. March 2, 2015, with the following information:
• Student ID number
• Departmental Affiliation and year of entry into the program
• Contact information, including mailing address, telephone number, and email
• a) Name, dates, and location of conference or, b) location and dates of travel for research trip
• Title and 250-word abstract of presentation or research project
• Brief description of how the conference paper or research trip fits into a larger research plan.
• If application is for a conference paper, please include proof of acceptance (such as copy of letter or email), or date acceptance is expected
• List of other conferences and research travel awards received last academic year, including any applications still pending. (Duplicate reimbursement requests for the same research trip are not allowed)
• List of any previously-received AAS graduate student travel awards and years of award
• Anticipated cost of attending the conference or research trip
• Signature of faculty advisor or DGS confirming information and supporting conference attendance or research trip travel.
If you have any questions, please contact Lisa Sun-Hee Park, Director of Asian American Studies ([email protected]).
Funds will be processed through the scholarship automation process. Students may want to contact the Office of Student Finance to determine if an adjustment can be made to their Cost of Attendance before accepting the award as to not impact their other financial aid.