WASHINGTON, D.C. (June 18, 2014) — OCA – Asian Pacific American Advocates, a national membership – driven organization of community advocates dedicated to advancing the social, political, and economic well-being of Asian Pacific Americans (APA), is proud to welcome the OCA Summer Interns. This year’s cohort consists of 18 students from across the country. The Internship Program provides APA students with experiences in professional development, networking opportunities, and coalition broadening in Washington, D.C. for duration of 10 weeks.
“It’s amazing to see how much the internship program has grown since it started 25 years ago. This summer’s group of bright, young students has already shown leadership potential and a great deal of introspection into their own APA identities in the short time since their arrival. I look forward to seeing where this summer program takes them.”
“This year marks the 25th anniversary of the OCA Summer Internship Program,” said Stan Lou, OCA National Vice President of Education & Culture. “OCA is excited to welcome our newest group of students into this wonderful and challenging opportunity. I am confident that through the internship program we will see this group grow into talented and thoughtful leaders”
OCA National President Sharon M. Wong said the OCA Internship Program was first launched in 1989 with only one intern.
“Now as one of the largest and longest running Internship Programs for APA students, OCA continues to educate and empower the next generation of strong community advocates,” Wong said.
OCA Summer Interns:
• Kevin Bautista – University of Michigan
• Emily Chong – Vanderbilt University
• Tiffany Chou – Washington University in St. Louis
• Teri Chung – University of Connecticut
• Daniel Hoddinott – Rutgers University
• Melerelini Ioane – California State University, Long Beach
• Jennifer Kao – University of California, Berkeley
• Jenny Lu – University of California, Berkeley
• Eng Gin Moe – Georgetown University
• Fae Montgomery – Swarthmore College
• Rothana Oun – Georgia State University
• Lyris Ramos – University of California, Berkeley
• Mithin Thomas – University of Pennsylvania
• Jennifer Tran – University of Texas at Austin
• Tina Tran – New York University
• Pheng Kong Vang – California State University of Sacramento
• Jae Yang – Pima Community College
• Veronica Zamani – University of California, Los Angeles
To read the intern biographies visit www.ocanational.org.
The 25th annual OCA Internship Program is generously sponsored by the Walmart Foundation, the Comcast Foundation, the William & Sinforosa Tan Kaung Internship Endowment Fund, and Mary Ann & Paul C. Yu Internship Fund.