WASHINGTON, D.C. (Oct. 1, 2013) — The National Chapter of the Organization of Chinese Americans and Asian Pacific American Advocates together announced the 10 winners of the OCA-AXA Achievementsm Scholarship.
The scholarship awards $2,000 to APA students who have demonstrated academic achievement, leadership, and commitment to their communities as entering first year undergraduate students. Since 2004, OCA and the AXA Foundation have partnered to provide scholarships to 94 incoming college students across the country, allowing the opportunity for higher education.
“We are proud to partner with the AXA Foundation in providing hardworking students with scholarships to support their studies,” said OCA National President Sharon M. Wong. “We look forward as we continue engaging scholars with opportunities to grow in becoming an advocate for their communities.”
“We developed AXA Achievementsm because we understand how challenging the road to college can be,” said Faith Frank, president of the AXA Foundation. “Since the program launched in 2003, we’ve awarded over $22.8 million to more than 5,100 students nationwide.”
OCA-AXA Achievementsm Scholarship winners exemplify the kind of students who receive our scholarships – young people who have accomplished something special and who show the determination to set and reach goals.”
2013 OCA-AXA Achievementsm Scholars:
• Joan Campos, University of California Berkeley
• Krystal Ngoc Hoang, Louisiana State University
• Hasnat Jahan, Barnard College
• John Phi La, University of Texas, Austin
• Lasha Logan, Brigham Young University
• Christopher Tsim-Nuj Lor, Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology • Robin Meng Luo, Harvard University
• Ankita Verma, University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh
• Pa Cha Yang, College of Saint Scholastica
• Abdul Zahid
City College of New York