The Sixth Annual Second Chance Day on the Hill will be held at 10 am., Wednesday, Jan. 16, 2013, in the Minnesota State Capitol Rotunda, 75 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. St. Paul MN 55155.
The event is sponsored by the Minnesota Second Chance Coalition, a broad-based coalition of organizations that believe ex-offenders who have paid their debt to society deserve a second chance to become law-abiding, taxpaying citizens. The organization advocates for policies and practices that facilitate the safe return of ex-offenders to their communities.
In 2013 the Minnesota Second Chance Coalition is working for the following progress in our state legislature:
• People living, working and paying taxes in our communities should also be able to participate in voting for their elected officials even if they have a criminal record.
• Give a person searching for a job a fair chance to explain his mistakes and show employers why he deserves a new opportunity.
• Stop automatically disqualifying people with criminal records from employment through the felony checkbox.
• Give judges a chance to decide whether the record of a teenager’s mistake should follow her for the rest of her life.
• Make it easier for someone who has paid for their mistake in the justice system and is demonstrating a long-term commitment to positive change, to clear their record of a crime and get their bright future back.
The Minnesota Second Chance Coalition will be offering buses from St. Cloud, Duluth, North Minneapolis and South Minneapolis to the State Capitol in St. Paul for the 2013 Second Chance Day on the Hill. Please visit www.mnsecondchancecoalition.org or the Facebook page for more information.
The bus from South Minneapolis will depart at 9 a.m. from PPL Learning Center, 1925 Chicago Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55404. It will begin loading at 8:30 a.m. It will return from the Capitol at approximately 11 a.m. To reserve a seat contact Pamela Rogers at 612-455-5297 or [email protected].
The bus from North Minneapolis will depart at 9 a.m. from Emerge, 1101 West Broadway Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55411. It will begin loading at 8:30 a.m. It will return from the Capitol at approximately 11 a.m. To reserve a seat contact Teresa Mullins 612-529-9267 or [email protected].
The bus from Duluth will depart at 7:30 a.m. from the Arrowhead Place building, on the corner of 2nd Street and 2nd Avenue West, Duluth, MN 55802. It will begin loading at 7 a.m. It will depart the Capitol at approximately 12 noon and return to the Arrowhead Building at approximately 2:15 p.m. To reserve a seat contact Dana Race, SOAR Career Solutions, at 218-722-3126 or [email protected].
The bus from St. Cloud will depart at 8:15 a.m. from Higher Ground Church, 327 9th Ave S, St. Cloud, MN 56301. It will begin loading at 7:45 a.m. It will depart the Capitol at approximately 12 noon and return to Higher Ground at approximately 1:30 p.m. To reserve a seat contact Dexter Stanton at 320-217-3079 or [email protected].