PRO-IMMIGRANT / PRO-AMERICA Community Rally
Thursday, June 11, 2015 10 – 11am
U.S. Capitol Grounds, Upper Senate Park
Join the Conversation! Use hashtags: #ThinkProImmigrant, #ProImmigrant, #ProAmerica, #AAPIsWatching, #SEAA4Immigration
This year marks the 50th anniversary of the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965, when the United States opened its doors to immigrants from outside Europe and their family members, representing the beginning of a fundamental shift in the definition of “American.” Since 1965, Congress has consistently pursued efforts to “shut the door” on immigrant families. A recent report found that the 114th Congress today is the “most antiimmigrant Congress in history.” Even on its 3rd year anniversary on June 15th, lawmakers continue to undermine the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, and to raid and deport our families. Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI), black, and Latino brothers and sisters will not stand for an anti-immigrant Congress, and we stand united for a welcoming America that honors our identity as “a nation of immigrants.”
• An end to efforts to undermine the President’s executive actions to protect immigrant families from deportation.
• An end to anti-immigrant bills, and a return to sensible immigration legislation that keeps families together.
• An end to fear-mongering and divisive strategies to raid and deport our communities
• Representative Judy Chu (CA-27), Chair of the Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus (CAPAC)
• Representative Raul Grijalva (AZ-3), Member of CAPAC and the Congressional Hispanic Caucus
• Kham Moua, OCA – Asian Pacific American Advocates
• Quyen Dinh, Executive Director, Southeast Asia Resource Action Center (SEARAC)
• Jung Bin, DACA-mented youth, National Korean American Service & Education Consortium (NAKASEC)
• Luis Torres, LULAC