ST. PAUL (May 20, 2014) — The Ordway Center for the Performing Arts announced its lineup for the 2014 Summer Dance Series on Tuesday.
Now in its fifth year, the popular series offers free, family-friendly dance events and live music in Rice Park in downtown Saint Paul on select Thursday evenings throughout the summer. Beginning June 19, the Ordway Summer Dance Series will highlight a different dance and music genre each week, offering free lessons from professional instructors from around the community, followed by live music and open dance in the park.
“The Ordway Summer Dance Series began as another way for us to bring music and dance to the community while enhancing the Ordway’s mission of making the arts accessible for everyone,” said Ordway President and CEO Patricia A. Mitchell. “The series has been wildly successful and has blossomed into one of most popular community events of the summer. There’s no better way to spend a summer evening than by dancing the night away under the stars in beautiful Saint Paul. This fifth year is sure to be the best series yet!”
Each evening will begin with a social gathering at 5:30 p.m. where food and beverages will be available for purchase from The Saint Paul Hotel, R.A. MacSammy’s, Potter’s Pasties and the Leprechaun’s Dreamcycle. At 6:00 p.m., local dance professionals will lead group dance lessons focusing on a different style each week. At 7:15 p.m., attendees can show off what they learned at an open dance with live music from local bands. All events are free and open to the public.
The Ordway Summer Dance Series is funded by the Knight Foundation, Travelers, The Saint Paul Hotel and Pazzaluna. For more information about the series, visit www.ordway.org/summerdance.
Ordway 2014 Summer Dance Series Lineup
• June 19 – R&B/Soul – Steppin’ Band: Ray Covington and The Maxx Band. Step Dance Instruction: TC Steppers/Kevin Johnson
• June 26 – Swing Band: Capri Big Band. Swing Dance Instruction: Arthur Murray Saint Paul
• July 3 – No event
• July 10 – Disco Band: Boogie Wonderland Disco Dance Instruction: Arthur Murray Saint Paul
• July 17 – Salsa Band: Salsa del Soul. Salsa Dance Instruction: Manuel & Carmen Rubio
• July 24 – Ballroom Band: Jerry O’Hagan and his Orchestra Ballroom Dance Instruction: Cinema Ballroom
Ordway Summer Dance Series in Rice Park on Thursdays, June 19-July 24 (no event on July 3)
• 5:30 p.m. – Event begins
• 6:00 p.m. – Free dance lessons
• 7:15 p.m. – Live music and open dance